Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Holding Patterns

I managed to get to the gym twice or so since my last posting (and I should go today).  I've continued to go easy on the weights, starting out at about 20 lbs and moving up 10 lbs every set.  This has prevented me from turning into a total marshmallow over the winter break.

On a slightly related topic: After getting out of the winter break routine, I think I've discovered that the reason my lower back feels sore is that I must be using the rowing machine wrong; my hands feel sore after lifting barbell weights; my neck feels sore because my work monitors are too high; and my right shoulder is sore because my work mouse is in the wrong place on my desk.  So my body isn't falling apart so much as I need to pay more attention to my posture.

As usual, I had hopes that I would actually get some projects done... and, as usual, I managed to get far less than I wanted done.  Some of this is I always underestimate how much time holiday visits will take, but a surprising amount of it is looking up from a screen or a book or the bed and discovering how much later it is than I thought.  I suppose I should take updating the operating system on the writing computer and upgrading to Scrivener 3 as small victories. 

Reading about all my friends' writing accomplishments on social media was getting depressing until I read a post that said, "It's OK if you just got through the year."  That helped... and still did not prevent me from lying awake at 4 A.M. New Year's Day beating myself up about how little I've written and how much less I've submitted.   At least I did have one short story published last year.  I guess "Stop Whining and Write and Submit" is the next sign over my desk.

No comments: