Saturday, August 26, 2017

Adams Vase

Let's discuss the Adams Vase, because, OMG! it is so over the top!

It's supposed to look like a cotton flower, but it looks more like the warm-up for a bacchanal.  First of all, it's gold.  And covered in amethysts, pearls, and tourmalines.  And it's got semi-naked gods all over it.


 I'm not sure what Mercury is wearing here, but it looks like a sheer veil.  He's thinking about something, probably, "If I shimmy three steps to the right and then two the left, I can loop my veil over a hottie; but which one?"
The youth on the right is warming his hands, or else making an offering; I think the other youth has an oar.
 Mr. Adams was apparently an industrialist in the cotton oil business.  I had to look up the uses of cotton seed oil and it was essentially the high-fructose corn syrup of the late 1800's.  Only for lard as it was a key component in Crisco.  And potato chips.
I don't know why these birds are holding up garlands.


I'm thinking there's a message here, but I'm not sure what it is.  I'm pretty sure that Oregon State University hadn't incorporated at the time of this vase's construction, so it can't be a symbol of school pride.


No comments: