Saturday, May 20, 2017

Reunion Ruminations

Went to the gym Monday.  Short session.  25 minutes on the elliptical for 270 cal.  3x12x60lbs on the pec-fly.  3x12x80lbs on the lat pulldown (back to my old Fall level).  3x12x35 barbell curls.  3x8x30lbs triceps curls.

My hand and feet joints have been bothering me the last few days.  I'm hoping it's caused by the rain-again-sun-again weather we've been having.  I know when it's bad when I clutch fresh tea mugs in my hand the same way David Carradine branded his forearms by pressing them against an iron hot cauldron.

The last iris bloom is in the back.  We've had roughly two weeks of them, and now they are almost gone until next May.


Went to the gym Thursday.  About 20 minutes and 180 cal on the elliptical.  10 minutes and 120 cal on the cable row machine.  3x12x60lbs on the pec-fly.  3x13x80lbs on the lat pull down.  3x12 hanging curls on the Roman Chair.  12x20lbs + 2X1230lbs on the the tricpts pull-down.  Some assorted assisted chin-ups.

I'm in a bit of a dither about my 30th Reed Reunion.

+ On one hand, it would be fun to go.

- On the other, the timing is really awkward.  It coincides with The Child's Birthday, and I'd considered going for one day before-hand... which means Birthday Prep would need to be juggled around.

+ On the first hand,  Reed was a good fit in a lot of ways for early-tween me.  

- Back on the other hand... eh, Reed-schmeed... it seems like a fund-raising event disguised as a party.

+ Back on the "go" hand, it would be fun to tour the reactor and see the campus (I haven't been in... 1992 ?).

- On the other hand, sometimes when I think about instances of lack of educational guidance I got there, I get angry -- yeah, I was hapless -- and I fell for the Big Lie of Reed about grades don't matter at Reed.   My friends used to joke that I was a Theatre Major disguised as a Physics Major disguised as a Psych Major.

+  Then again, going to Reed resulted in my career of User Services.  Not that I studied math there or anything...

Grumble.  I suppose underneath some of this is a sense that the Reunion will feed my imposter syndrome....



Saturday I got up early, wrote for about an hour, then went to the gym for a 90 minute session.  About 35 minutes and 350 cal on the elliptical (if I can believe the machine, I burnt off a Snickers bar).  5 minutes and 50 cal on the cable row machine.  3x12x60lbs on the pec-fly.  3x13x80lbs on the lat pull down.  3x12 hanging curls on the Roman Chair.  3x12x35 barbell curls.  3x8x35 reverse barbell pulls.  3x12x30lbs on the the tricpts pull-down.  

No comments: