Friday, April 08, 2016

Stay-At-Home Residency?

Dream:  I had a "stuck at Arcosanti" dream.  This one was a little different in that there was a tower at Arco and I was supposed to put a message on the top, and I was packing up and leaving.

Writing:  I didn't get into a writers' residency program this August.  I was looking forward to taking about two weeks off and writing at a compound in Eastern Oregon with other writers, sculptors, painters and other artists.  Apparently, there was a lot of competition to get in.  I was rather hoping, since I'd applied last January, that an early application would help my chances.

On the up side, Mark is being very supportive and suggested I simply take off for a week somewhere.  My fantasy would be to go to Portland and write in the Crumpacker Family Library. Other writers have suggested the Sylvia Beach Hotel, some place in Yachats, Belknap Hot-springs, a secret place on Mt. Hood, or Crater Lake.  Portland (especially McMeniman's) is working out to be expensive, and looking around at other places to lodge on the cheap, $40.00 a night is pretty common.   If I went almost anywhere for ten days that easily translates to $500.  Which I'd rather spend on a MacBook that can run Scrivener.

Bother.  Not loving the Writer's Life right now.

My other thought is simply buying a deck chair and a bunch of weather balloons for a "steampunk themed" writer's travel vacation.  (Checks Internet)  Looks like the FAA might have something to say about that...

No comments: