Saturday, April 23, 2016

Journal: Working Out

Working Out:  Went to the gym Thursday.  20 minutes and 220 cal on the elliptical.  10 and 120 cal on the rowing machine.  The assisted chin-up and dip machine made me laugh while I was doing the chin-ups, so... um  3 sets of 8 dips and 2 sets of 8 chin-ups at 14.  Downstairs I realized I had pulled my pectorals a little on the pec-fly machine, so only 3X12 at 50lbs.  12 reps at 70 and 2 sets of 12 at 80 lbs on the lat-pulldown.  3X12 curl-ups.  3 sets of 12 reps at 30 lbs barbell curls.

I'm reading "The Witch of Lime Street" on the elliptical.  I'm about half-way through.  The subject is the Scientific American magazine's prize for a medium who could summon spirits under scientific testing.  I think the most interesting things I've learned are that terms like ectoplasm and telekinesis seem to have been coined in the 1920's.  It provides some non-mystical social background for the writings of Violet Firth/Dion Fortune.

Not much effective writing Friday morning; a thunderstorm disrupted my sleep.

More Working Out:  Filled to the brim with virtue, I went to the gym as it opened Saturday.  30 minutes and 310 cal on the elliptical (and more "The Witch of Lime Street").  10 and 120 cal on the rowing machine.  3 sets of 12 dips and chin-ups at 16 on the assisted chin-up and dip machine.  Downstairs, 3X12 at 50lbs on the pec-fly machine, 3X12 at 80 lbs on the lat-pulldown.  3X12 curl-ups.  3 sets of 12 reps at 35 lbs barbell curls.

My weight appears to be up... I'm not sure if I should blame the scales at the gym or not, but I've suddenly gained two pounds.  Maybe it's muscle.

No comments: