Saturday, April 09, 2016

Abandon Ship!

Working Out:  Went to the gym Thursday.  Rowing machine: about 105 calories in 10 minutes.  Someone was on the assisted dip-chin machine, so I went downstairs.  I had a conversation with some Wordos Tuesday, and they suggested that increasing weights would build muscle mass as opposed to lots of reps at lower weights.  So... to mix things up, I started the pec fly with five reps at 20, then five more reps at 30, all the way up to 50.  I figured it's been a while, so I should warm up with super-low weights.  At the lat pull-down, I started at 40, and did 10 reps, increased by 10 pounds up to 80, and added 5 reps at 90 to the end.  Curl-ups I did my standard 13 reps.  Barbell curls, I started at 30, did 2 sets of 12 reps, and then went up to 35lbs.  Back upstairs to the chin-dip, which was being used by the slowest people ever, so I got in 10 minutes of the elliptical for something like 80 cals before doing 3 sets of 8 reps of dips/chins at 18-16-14.

Writing:  Friday morning I sat down to slug away at my potential Sword and Sorceress manuscript ... and I realized

  • it was a loose series of vignettes, 
  • the character's conflict was low-stakes and very internal, 
  • and that my chest was filling up with a profound loathing.  

I think one problem is that the story started with a literary character sketch at the Word-Crafters conference and I was trying to make her fit into a Sword and Sorceress story.  Thinking back on Problem Manuscripts, they have their genesis in (usually character) workshops.  Anyway, although I hate to think about the time I've put into it, at this point it seems the best to start over with something new.  Like finger-painting.

No comments: