Friday, February 12, 2016

Pushing Against the Deadline...

Writing:  The short story I've been working on is somewhere between first and final draft -- mostly it's finished, but the ending needs some final adjustments and I need to flesh out the characters more consistently.  It's at 5000 words and threatening to spill over, so I need to go through and tweak things.  There's some places that are probably over-described, which will be interesting to cut back because I'm writing characters who are profoundly immersed in their world.  Anyway, I need to be done by Saturday so I can pass it through critique in time to submit it.  

And of course it feels like every time I sit down to write the phone rings or the cat is needy or I feel like I should be doing more marketing or something else.

Sometimes I look at my manuscripts like a person with a box of puppies for sale.


Working Out:  Wednesday, The Child was sick, which teaches me not to put off working out on Tuesday.  Between feeling tired and sore and writing, I haven't been to the gym.    Went Thursday:  20 minutes and 200 calories on the elliptical; this time I paid more attention to my right knee and figured out I had the tension on the machine up too high last time (9), topped it out at 6 this session.  Skipped the rowing machine, 3x8 on the dip/chins, started at 18, finished at 16.  Downstairs, 3x12x40lbx on the pec fly.  3x12x80lbs on the lat pulldown.  16 curlups.  Then I had to run off.

Did manage to talk with the owner of the gym about music; turns out classic rock garners the least complains... so it's the best of the worst?  Oh well.


No comments: