Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tweaking Geometry

 More from the Book of Art.  This is a re-working of a tile pattern by Tiffany that is displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.







Some times when I draw freehand designs, they come out better than when I use the compass.  This fish design is a case in point. In my mind, I thought I could make a fish out of squares, triangles and wedge shapes.

When I used the compass to make the shapes more precise, the fish cam out looking like a television station logo.  Or something.



The same thing happened when I was trying to make a border of circles within a band.  When I free-handed the design, it looked rough.  When I used geometry, the spacing looked wrong; I'd guessed the proportions incorrectly.





At least this sun-and-moon design came out more-or-less the way I wanted it.


No comments: