Thursday, August 20, 2015

Misssing Keys

Tuesday was a bad day.  One would think that I've learned my lesson about reading e-mail first thing in the morning, but I haven't, so I discovered a rejection letter in my inbox for a clockwork fairytale I'd written.  I'd sort of hoped that I'd make it into this particular market because I'd been practicing reject-o-mancy on my friends' rejections over the last three weeks (he hasn't rejected my story yet, he's probably going to buy it!)  

Then I couldn't find my work key.  I wear it around my neck on a bright green ribbon for a reason.  I think Monday I came home tired, took a nap, and took the key off.  The upshot was that Tuesday morning (having read the rejection and playing the post-rejection tapes in my head) I scurried around the house for fifteen minutes, not finding the key, before leaving, late, without it.  It's not fatal if I don't have it, but it makes getting into my office awkward.  

When I got home, I started looking around for it.  Two and a half hours later, in a foul mood after not writing and not finding it in the couch, under the couch, in the bed sheets, in the closet, in blankets, in a folder, on my writing side table, hiding in the cushions of my Stickly chair, under the cat's bean-bag, in the washing machine in or under a laundry basket, nor hanging from any of the chairs in the house, I finally located it in a dirty clothes hamper in the garage.

By then I had to go grocery shopping.  So much for an afternoon of writing.  The upside was that I discovered a new artist on Spotify.

Working Out:  Wednesday I returned to the gym after almost a week (at least I did some minor free weight work at home).  Put in 160 calories in 20 minutes on the elliptical; 120 calories in 10 minutes on the rowing machine.  2/10 assisted dips; 2/5 assisted chin-ups.  3/12 50lbs pec flies; 3/12 85 lbs lat pulls; 3/13 curl-ups.

Writing:  Well... I've been at a picking-at-things level.  Got a critique of a manuscript from the Wordos, with good feedback about adding even more details about when (1985 and 2015) and where (Minnesota) to make things less confusing.  The language and the concept were well received.

No comments: