Sunday, July 19, 2015

Journal for July 12-19

Working Out:  Monday evening I went to the gym.  Someone was on the rowing machine, so I only did the elliptical.  Followed up with assisted dips and chin-ups.  Downstairs for the lat pulls, pec flies, curl-ups and dumbbell work.

Writing:  Finished up critiques for Tuesday night.  I saw a useful exercise over on Mary Robinette Kowal's website, and tried my hand at a few.  What I like about it is that it gets right to the story, and I'm hoping that it's a good antidote for my tendency to over-write and back-pack story beginnings.   I'm going back through the pile of critiqued manuscripts and cleaning them up... which feels more like editing than writing.

Working Out:  Thursday afternoon I went to the gym.  Upstairs managed the elliptical 20 minutes, um 130 calories?), the rowing machine (ten minutes, 110 calories), and the assisted dips and chin-ups (tried for a wider grip on the chin-ups).   Downstairs did the 80 lb lat-pulls, pec-flies, curl-ups, and 35 lb dumbbell curls.

Writing:  Thursday and Friday I did some critiquing, and tweaked a science fiction short story manuscript up for Saturday Night Crit.  Despite my efforts at tweaking, I managed to confuse most readers through unclear setting details and too many supporting characters in the first few paragraphs.
This weekend is seeing temperatures back in the mid to upper 90s.  At least the week previous was in the more reasonable mid 80s.

No comments: