Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lunar Eclipse Haiku

For part of an early birthday celebration, I got to recite lunar eclipse haiku poems while dressed in a purple smoking jacket and sipping sherry. These are the ones I wrote; some are inspired by Izumi Shikibu and some are inspired by the cloudy sky which threatened to hide the eclipse.


☽ ☀ ☾


Heaven's blinds are drawn
Moonlight filling up this house
is from memory.


☽ ☀ ☾


Now no one will see
My lover's shadow darken
the pillows' whiteness.


☽ ☀ ☾


The moon reenacts
the solstice sun's shadow play
-- with or without clouds.


☽ ☀ ☾


I can't see the moon.
Honey, who turned out the lights?
Oh, it's just the rain.


☽ ☀ ☾


Like tomorrow's moon
with no trace of blushing shade -
my heart clothed in clouds


☽ ☀ ☾


I fancy the moon
doesn't fret about the clouds
when shadows visit.


☽ ☀ ☾


Tonight I shall go
To the palace of shadows
The moon lights my way.

No comments: