Monday, October 18, 2010

When Authors Twitter

I've been following some authors on Twitter. I wanted to see what they were doing, so following them on Twitter was a kind of electronic job-shadowing.

Writers' updates on Twitter break down into the following:
  • I wrote 10,000 words today.
  • I'm locked in my office, in the middle of writing 10,000 words.
  • I _wish_ I wrote 10,000 words today.
  • Announcements about chocolate/coffee/tea/cola/wine.
  • I'm at [cool place], with [cool person(s)] doing [cool things].
  • Read my book/article/blog.
  • Home/Pets/Family/Health updates.

Probably what I've learned is
  • the folks who have books for sale on bookshelves are more likely to be Tweeting the first two types of messages;
  • the other updates really don't tell me much about the craft of writing; and,
  • Ursula K. Le Guin does not Twitter.

No comments: