Friday, January 08, 2010

New Year's Resolution

My New Year Resolution: Rather than saying "damn you," I'm going to try saying "bless you." I'm allowed to say "bless you" with irony at drivers who turn without signaling or exhibit automotive behavior indicating they have never actually sat down and examined the rules of the road. There's one other blasphemy that I'm working on erasing, too.

There are several contributing factors. I think the biggest was hearing some evangelical preacher-type on the radio thundering "God damn America!" over something or other. And I thought, "Wow; that is just so ugly -- ordering Deity around as if Deity didn't have enough to do anyway, and asking for more damnation on top of it?"

A few weeks later, I heard someone muttering my personal blasphemy as he crossed the street and my reaction was, "How excessively unattractive." I think he was having a bad hair day or something.

I guess my resolution comes down to: "Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your character." I don't know who first said it, but it sounds good to me.

2 comments:

The Fastest Centaur Alive said...

So you're swearing like a old Hasid now?
I agree with your closing sentiment. The comparison of foul language and disease is no accident.
One of the things I notice about the Old Testament, which has its share of damnation, is that it is always proceeded by "The Lord saith" or some such phrase: the prophet himself is not doing the damning.

John said...

Old Hasids swear by saying "Bless You?"

I had no idea.

I suppose it could be worse. I could be swearing like a Fantasy Character and uttering minced oaths like "Kernos' Codpiece!"