Sunday, July 19, 2009

Weekend Fun

Went to Mary's Peak on Saturday. My parents came along, too, and we had a picnic near the summit. There were lots and lots of butterflies of all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors (mostly red, orange, and yellow).





Went to Newport on Sunday. The wind blew the sand into a haze which obscured the beach when we looked from miles away. We had to hide in the lee of a basalt flow; watching the sand grains blow away from us as we hid was like seeing the Earth's magnetosphere in the solar wind.




We had a fun weekend. (I'm still getting all the sand out of my hair and clothes.) Probably the highlight was visiting the Undersea Gardens (despite the claustrophobic viewing area), because I got to sketch Wolf Eels and and Octopus.

More photos here

1 comment:

Travis King said...

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my hometown. I'll be moving to Portland soon, and I can't say I'm going to miss Newport, but I sure will miss the beach. It's been such an inspiring setting.