Sunday, September 28, 2008

I've Read About These Somewhere...

Our farmer delivered produced today. I should have reminded her that I'm sensitive to peppers and can't eat them. I managed to give a few away so they won't be wasted.

But there's still one problem; or rather two.

I recognize the eggplants, the tomatoes, the cabbages and broccoli.  But I don't know what one green leafy vegetable is -- I know it's not spinach, and I suspect it might be related to kale.

And I have no idea what the long white thing is. Last time I saw something like this I called it a white carrot (it was a turnip) and Mark's never let me forget it. So, it wants to be purple, like an eggplant, except that it's mostly white; and it's long, like a cucumber -- I think I'll call it an "albino eggumber."

If you can identify either of these mystery vegetables, let me know (and send a recipe).

2 comments:

Merry Trencherwoman said...

The albino eggnumber is a white Japanese eggplant. I swear I've seen them at our local farmer's market. But there isn't a picture on the Cook's Thesaurus http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggplants.html so maybe I am on crack.

Could he greens be collards? Probably not, huh. Here: http://www.foodsubs.com/Greenckg.html You figure it out. ;-)

Anonymous said...

kohlrabi & aubergine. :)